You don't often see the words 'blueberry' and 'beef' in the same sentence, but believe us, this stew is a surprisingly delicious combination of sweet and savory.
'Stew beef' can come from many different cuts, most commonly: round steak, eye of round, chuck steak, chuck eye steak, and mock tender.
- 2lbs cubed stew beef - chuck steak, round steak, eye of round, chuck eye. You can get them all in our Fall Stew Share.
- 2 handfuls fresh blueberries
- 2 cups baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup red wine
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Brown the beef in a large skillet or dutch oven, and add onions. Simmer on medium.
- Toss in the seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Add the carrots and half a cup to one cup of red wine and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add enough water so that the meat is mostly covered
- Let stew for 30 minutes
- In the last 10 minutes, add the blueberries and a tablespoon of butter to coat.
- Stew until the carrots are fork-tender.